• Arizona
  • Thursday , Feb 1 , 2018

Area Info

San Tan Valley Area Information

4 minutes reading time (780 words)

How to start a Home Based Business In San Tan Valley

How to start a Home Based Business In San Tan Valley

A home occupation can satisfy the needs of a parent with young children at home, a retired person who may have limited mobility, or just someone who likes the convenience of making some extra income in the comfort of their own surroundings. However, in order to establish a Home Occupation in Pinal County, there is a certain process which must be followed and certain criteria which must be met. The following are the steps to make sure your business is legal, safe, and non-disruptive to your neighbors.

  1. Have your zoning determined. There are many zoning districts in the county which allow for Home Occupations. They are: SR, SH, GR, CR-1, CR-2, CR-3, CR-4 CR-5, TR, MH, AND RV. 
  2. Write out a description of your business. What are you planning to do? Does this home occupation meet the criteria under the definition from the Pinal County Zoning Ordinance, Sec. 433.
  3. Apply in person for a Business Use Permit at one of our County Planning and Development sites in Florence, Casa Grande, Oracle, or Apache Junction. Bring in a site plan showing the location of the business on your property, parcel number, and proof of ownership or authorization form (available on line) signed by the owner if you are leasing the property.  You may also mail all paperwork to: 

    Pinal County
    Planning and Development
    PO Box 2973
    Florence AZ 85132
    ATT: Home Occupation

Definition: An activity carried on by the occupant of a dwelling as a secondary use, including--*professional and semi-professional offices, when conducted and entered from within the dwelling.

  • A home occupation permit is required to be obtained from the planning director.
    • The home occupation permit shall apply only to a full-time resident of the dwelling.
    • If there is a change in use, a new home occupation permit shall be required.
    • A home occupation permit is issued to the applicant and does not attach to the land.
  • The home occupation must be conducted within a dwelling or an accessory building of not more than 400 square feet. Not more than one-fourth of the floor area of one story of the main dwelling shall be used for the home occupation.
  • There shall be no public display of stock-in-trade upon the premises.
  • Not more than one nonresident of the premises is employed in the home occupation.
  • No equipment or material associated with the home occupation shall be stored outdoors.
  • The residential character of the dwelling and subject property shall not be changed by said use.
  • Such occupation shall not cause any sustained, unpleasant, or unusual noises or vibrations, or noxious fumes or odors, or cause any traffic congestion in the immediate neighborhood.
  • All parking used in conjunction with the home occupation shall be on site and shall not include commercial parking features such as wheel stops, parking lanes or striping.
  • Home occupations shall not provide overnight accommodations.
  • Home occupations shall serve no more than five clients in one day and no more than two clients at any one time.

*see definitions of professional and semi-professional below 

[Advertise Your Business Here: http://bit.ly/2jAtZNi]

There will be a fee of $38 to process the application and you will receive your Business Use Permit within 14 working days.  Click here to download the application

Professional—Includes accountants, architects, Podiatrists, chiropractors, dentists, engineers, Lawyers, naturopaths, osteopaths, physicians, surgeons, surveyors, and veterinarians.

Semi-Professional—Includes insurance brokers, photographic studios, public stenographers, real estate brokers, stock brokers, and other persons who operate or conduct offices which do not require the stocking of goods for sale at wholesale or retail: does not include barbers, beauty operators, cosmetologists, embalmers, or morticians.


  • Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) must approve any permits for the manufacture and sale of firearms or ammunition.
  • Call the Health Department at 520-866-6807 prior to making any plans for a home occupation involving food.
  • Check with your local CCR’s to make sure your business is allowable in your neighborhood.

Small Business Resources:

  • Arizona Department of Commerce-Small Business www.azcommerce.com/smallbiz - 602-771-1100
  • Arizona Corporation Commission (register your Corporation or Limited Liability Company) and check for name availabilitywww.azcc.gov
  • Arizona Secretary of State (register your trade name and other resources) www.azsos.gov
  • Arizona Department of Revenue (register for Transaction Privilege Tax (TPT)/Licensing  (Commonly referred to as a Sales, Resale, Wholesale, Vendor or Tax License) http://bit.ly/1l69xCH
  • San Tan Leadshttp://www.SanTanLeads.com
  • US Small Business Administration (SBA) www.sba.gov
    • SBA Small Business Planner
    • SBA Arizona District Office
    • SBA Veterans Programs
    • SBA Native American Programs
    • SBA Programs for Women
    • SCORE: Counselors to Small Business www.scoreaz.org

**Consider advertising your business in the San Tan Valley Business Directory. Sign up here today!

Font size: +
How to start a Retail/Commercial Business in San T...
Rep. Gosar Condemns Revolving Door Allowing Early ...

Related Posts



No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Already Registered? Login Here
Tuesday, 04 August 2020
If you'd like to register, please fill in the username, password and name fields.

Captcha Image

By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://santanvalley.com/

Stay Connected

Pan de Vida Foundation

Pan de Vida Foundation

Queen Creek, Maricopa County
Leading Edge Academy

Leading Edge Academy

San Tan Valley, Pinal County
No More Stink

No More Stink

San Tan Valley, Pinal County
San Tan Leads

San Tan Leads

San Tan Valley, Pinal County
MyBizNow LLC

MyBizNow LLC

San Tan Valley, Pinal County
Paladin Sports Outreach

Paladin Sports Outreach

San Tan Valley, Pinal County
Rural Metro Fire

Rural Metro Fire

San Tan Valley, Pinal County

Daily News

Wait a minute, while we are rendering the calendar

Upcoming Events

4 Aug

Learn how to take control and manage your health by...

6 Aug
Banner Children’s Health Mobile
08.06.2020 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Banner Health provides health services to...

8 Aug
Purple Heart Day-Honoring Veterans
08.08.2020 11:00 am - 3:00 pm

Join us to WELCOME HOME veterans at the Purple Heart...

10 Aug
Veteran's Assistance
08.10.2020 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Veteran Assistance services are available...

11 Aug
San Tan Leads
08.11.2020 7:30 am - 9:00 am

San Tan Leads is a one person per industry...


Advertise your business to hundreds of thousands of potential customers, while supporting your local news resource at the same time. Our Partners help us provide you with services and information to help keep you informed.

Become A Partner

Follow Us

Our San Tan Valley Community Keeps Growing!

San Tan Valley News

EPCOR Customer Update

Jul 28, 2020 Hits:963

Twitter Feed

TRAFFIC ALERT from @PinalCSO Arizona Farms Rd. and Hwy 79 closed for the next several hours due to vehicle collis… https://t.co/9YdsifPStH
Reducing capacity to 50% or less at restaurants is @dougducey latest request to help #slowthespread #covid19
Safer at home. If not home you're safer outside, and if not outside safer where there are few people. @dougducey #maskupaz

About SanTanValley.com

About SanTanValley.com