LATEST NEWS

Search News

3 minutes reading time (635 words)

Stay Safe this Holiday Season with these Safety Tips

Stay Safe this Holiday Season with these Safety Tips

Live Tree Vs. Lot Tree

Who doesn’t love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree? Consider purchasing a live tree instead of a cut tree from a tree lot. Live trees will last longer and are less likely to dry out, becoming a fire hazard. Plus, you can plant it once the season is over.

If you purchase a tree from a lot, look for one that is as fresh as possible. Check the trunk and test for a slight stickiness, indicating a fresher cut. Gently, grab a branch near the trunk and pull your hand toward the outside, the needles should stay in place. Or stand the tree up and gently tap the cut end on the ground a few times. A few needles is OK, but a lot of falling needles are not.

Have the lot cut off about ½ an inch at the trunk. This will allow the tree to absorb more water. Get the tree in water as soon as possible and WATER IT DAILY!

Stringing lights

Lights make the tree! Check to make sure the lights you are using are rated for indoor use. Inspect all strings to make sure there are NO broken or exposed wires.

  • Choose LED lights which produce less heat than incandescent bulbs and consume less energy.
  • Use extension cords rated for their application. Check for indoor and outdoor use and choose a grounded cord and GFI outlet for outdoor lights.
  • NEVER overload an outlet or circuit with multiple strands of lights or other electrically operated decorations.

IF YOU SMELL AN ELECTRICAL ODOR:

  • CALL 911 and EVACUATE.
  • Turn off the main power to the home.
  • Allow the Fire Department check your home for possible origins.

Candles… Candles … Candles

Candles may bring holiday cheer and reminiscence, but applying some simple guidelines will keep the lighted glow to a minimum.

NEVER leave a candle unattended when you leave the room, leave home or go to bed. Locate candles on non-flammable surfaces, away from curtains, fabrics, and other combustible materials. Make sure nothing above the candle will be heated to the point of ignition.

Consider using battery operated candles in place of traditional candles.

Prevent candles from being knocked over by kids or pets, by considering location as part of your safety plan.

Burning the Yule Log

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire….nothing says holidays like a cozy fire in the fireplace. If your home has a fireplace, knowing the dangers is a must.

NEVER leave children alone near a lit fireplace. Open flames may be too great a temptation for children to play with fire. A wood or gas fireplace can create extremely hot surfaces. Keeping kids away, prevents accidental burns.

  • Have your chimney inspected and cleaned prior to use to avoid a chimney or attic fire.
  • Stockings hung by the chimney with care… keeps them away from open flame and excess heat.
  • NEVER leave a fire burning when you leave home or go to bed!
  • Create a safe zone around your fireplace, free from presents, trees, and other flammable material.

A safe holiday season begins with proper planning. Take time to develop an escape plan with your family, in case of emergency. Designate a meeting place outside your home and make sure everyone knows at least 2 ways out of the house. It’s a great time to test fire alarms and replace them if they are more than 10 years old. Give you and your family the gift of safety this year.

Rural Metro Fire Department wishes everyone a SAFE and HAPPY Holiday season.

Meet the Finalists for Superintendent of the Combs...
Last Weekend to See the Trains in San Tan Valley
 

Comments

No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment
Thursday, 13 June 2024

Captcha Image

My Account Menu

News Menu

Search News

Mailing Address:
530 E Hunt Hwy
Ste 103-262
San Tan Valley, AZ 85143

Text: 602.348.0238

SanTanValley.com is your #1 resource for anything in and around San Tan Valley, AZ. Focusing on uniting and promoting all that San Tan Valley has to offer for our visitors and residents, SanTanValley.com provides you with local area information & events, local business information, news, traffic alerts, and more!

© 2023, SanTanValley.com is owned & operated by MyBizNow LLC. All Rights Reserved. Material displayed is not to be used without written permission by SanTanValley.com representatives. You may not reproduce or communicate any of the content on this website, including articles, content, images and files downloadable from this website, without the written permission of SanTanValley.com representatives. Opinions and comments posted by viewers do not reflect the opinions of SanTanValley.com.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

© Copyright 2023. All Rights Reserved Site Developed & Maintained by MyBizNow.com
× Progressive Web App | Add to Homescreen

To install this Web App in your iPhone/iPad press icon. Progressive Web App | Share Button And then Add to Home Screen.

× Install Web App
Mobile Phone
Offline - No Internet Connection