Melissa Gardner (Anaheim, CA/Katella) was tabbed as the campus’ Most Engaged Student of the Year, while Lindsey Hernandez (Dubuque, IA/Gilbert) received Outstanding First Year Student honors.
“For those of us who educate students, events like this are icing on the cake,” Dr. James Moore, CAC’s acting vice president of learning services, said to the accomplished students and their friends and family in attendance.
In total, 30 awards were given to 21 different students and one member of the faculty for their work in the classroom and the CAC community:
- Outstanding Business Student - Christina Rowden (San Tan Valley/Mingus Union)
- Outstanding Ceramics Student - Andrea Escanuela (Apache Junction, AZ/Apache Junction)
- EMT Student of the Year - Richard Matthews (Superior, AZ/Apache Junction)
- Firefighter of the Year - Lyle Wyatt (Gold Canyon, AZ/Apache Junction)
- Outstanding Student in Massage Therapy - Ramon McGrew (Apache Junction, AZ/Apache Junction)
- Outstanding Honors Colloquium Student - Cole McClary (Gold Canyon, AZ/Home Schooled)
- Outstanding Honors Seminar Student - Jordyn Weichens (Apache Junction, AZ/Home Schooled)
- Outstanding Math Student - Cole McClary
- Outstanding Phi Theta Kappa Students - Jennette Gutierrez (Queen Creek, AZ/Queen Creek), Heather Mendes (Truckee, CA/Desert Ridge)
- Outstanding Radiology Student - Michael Mejia (Queen Creek, AZ)
- Outstanding Science Student - Jordyn Weichens
- SMC Cultural Geography Award - Matthew Adams (Mesa, AZ/Westwood), Joseph Bonacci (Rochester, NY/Apache Junction)
- Tutor of the Year - Miriam Wilson (Murray, Utah/Murray)
- All-Arizona Academic Team - Jo Beaudry (Apache Junction, AZ/GED), Melissa Gardner
- Recognition for Creation of SMPride Student Organization - Jo Beaudry, Melissa Gardner, Cristina Hatler (Sacramento, CA/Dublin)
- Recognition for Student Leadership Team - Jeff Bunkelman (Advisor), Mariah Cole (Apache Junction, AZ/Apache Trail), Leticia Berry (Apache Junction, AZ/Apache Junction), Andra Ramage (Apache Junction, AZ), Jordyn Wiechens, Daryn Campbell (Queen Creek, AZ/Home Schooled), Cole McClary
- Non-Academic Awards - Melissa Gardner (Most Engaged Student), Lindsey Hernandez (Outstanding First Year Student)
- Faculty of the Year - Maryliz Pierce
In addition to the individual awards, 29 students were honored by Who’s Who Among American Junior College Students.